Friday, January 11, 2013

Fashion Police

Now if there is one thing about me everyone knows, I am not a slave to fashion. In truth, I have no fashion sense whatsoever and I could seriously use a complete makeover with clinton and Stacy from What Not To Wear... I was fliping thru some old picture albums of mine from the 70's and 80's and I realized that fashion has seemed to come full circle. Well, i shouldn't say FULL circle as I don't see anyone wearing farthingales and wasp waists with long heavily adorned gem encrusted dresses or breeches and enlarged codpieces of the Elizabethan era... I am referring to, of course, the boot cut jeans and peasant tops of the 70's and the (dear God what were we thinking) leg warmers of the 80's. I remember the Prairie skirts and the ruffled blouses that my older sister wore in middle school in the name of fashion. Then came high school and the era of baggy Lee jeans and baggy Lee pinstripe jeans. All dark denim of course. I was quite happy in my body lingo jeans and Star Wars t-shirts when I was in grade school. I mean, who did I have to impress? 6th grade boys? Yuck. When I graduated to middle school I had to go to town as I went to a small (and I mean like 60 students small) elementary school. Middle school "townies" set the fashion trend. What are Lee jeans and Nike tennis shoes? What are rainbow shirts and sweaters? I grew up in the country where I wore clothes to keep warm and play outside in. I did not grow up on a farm and I was no where near a "country girl" listening to country music. My music tastes ran toward the Eagles, Lynrd Skynrd, Steve Miller, the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour and oldies, thanks to having a dad who played drums in a band for years. But I digress... I remember one girl telling me that clothes defined who we were. I thought...well, if that is the case, why give a false definition?!? Here I am, Star Wars t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. This is me. To this day, it is still me. On weekends I wear yoga pants and my Ramones t-shirt for cleaning the house. I wear my Wonder Woman t-shirt to go to the grocery store. I have a ponytail in my hair- no, I don't wear a Scunci. I did give up that fashion horror in the 90's along with my scrunched down socks over my leggings...when I was thin enough to wear leggings... I dress nicely for work, but I wear dress clothes that I have had for about 10+ years. Why? Because I have kids who outgrow clothes faster than I do and they need them worse. I am pretty lucky because my 13-year-old daughter is also NOT a slave to fashion and doesn't demand the really expensive clothes from brand name stores. Nope! She is content with jeans and t-shirts like her mom. Right now she seems to be obsessed with Bucky Badger and Wisconsin shirts. That is fine. I like how she looks! She looks comfy and happy and she is who she is. I will admit, I do have some clothes from high school that I have pulled out- no, I cannot fit into them, thankyouverymuch- and laughed at. I washed them up and then listed them on ebay calling them Retro Shaker Sweater from the ACTUAL 80's!! I got $25 for each of them. Fashion slave my kiester....

No comments:

Post a Comment