Monday, November 15, 2010

The Best Playmate Ever

My Dad. Hands down. He wasn't much more than a kid himself when Big Sister was born and then I came along a mere 11 months later. My dad was all of 20 going on 21 when I entered this illustrious world. I think that is why I have the bizarre sense of humor that I have.
My parents were 21 years old with 2 girls under 2. I, personally, would have been an alcoholic. My kids are 5 years apart and I wonder how people have 2 kids in diapers at once. Hats off to you people. I could never do it.
But, back to my Dad. Yes, Dad was the best playmate my sisters and I could ever have had.
Before baby sister came along, Big Sister and I used to make up games to play with Daddy. One of our favourites was "Mountain Lion". Daddy would get down on all fours and start growling at us. We would scream and run to the couch or chair and climb up on it. Obviously, a Naugahyde sofa was like kryptonite to deranged bloodthirsty felines. We would wait til his back was turned and then scramble down off the couch and try to run across the living room to the chair without getting caught. If you were caught, you had to suffer the mountain lion's wrath. You were usually tickled til you squealed- or wet your pants, whichever came first.
A lot of times we would get loud and Mom would yell from the kitchen, "Mark! Keep it down! You are worse than the girls!"
Well, duh...that is what made the yelling and screaming ok. Daddy was doing it, so could we!
Dad would make up words to songs. He was the original Weird Al Yankovik. Constantly making up songs and singing them in bizarre voices to get us kids to laugh. And we generally did. Heck, even at 41 I still will sing them and he will join in then we will laugh like a couple of loons.
I have one that still runs thru my head about Star Wars. It was sung to the "Empire theme" (google it and then listen to the words) it went a little something like this..."My name's Ralph and I hail Tattooine..My name's Ralph and I hail Tattooine...My name is Yoda...I hail from Dagobah...." 
Yeah, it was a real had to be there moment. But it was funnier than heck when you were 8 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment