Monday, November 15, 2010

Excuse me?

I have the funniest kids on the earth. They have great senses of humour and are very quick on their feet.
The first time I recognized this was with my daughter at the age of 2. We were driving along, me in the driver's seat and she in the car seat in the back. We were driving along singing Barney songs, like you do, when some obviously blind person decided to pull out in front of me. Not being around children on a daily basis for 30 years of my life, I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind. "Jackass!" Oops. Quickly I tried to cover my bad choice of words, "I mean, JERK!"
Too late. From the back seat in a tiny little voice came the Mimic. "Jackass." Obviously trying out the word on her two year old tongue and deciding she liked the taste of it. Ok. Bad parenting 101. There was your first lesson, moron. Solution? Ok, watch your mouth because little pitchers DO have big ears.
A few days go by and I am once again driving with said child. Once again, I am cut off in traffic by someone without a license. I didn't even get a breath in when from the back seat I hear, "Jackass." Not only do they have big ears, they obviously have the memory of an elephant.
Well, at least she used it in context.
Three years later, along comes baby brother. Chynna was positive she was having a baby sister and was somewhat disappointed when she learned she was getting a baby brother. When asked what she was going to name him I feared for the reproachful look I would get from the doctor. Luckily, she did not reply Jackass, she replied "Harry." Whew. Obviously, she moved on to Harry Potter. The reason I suspect this? She walked around the house and would say Bloody hell in an English accent.
Fast forward 5 years. Lucas has become the newest comic relief in our family. He was forever asking questions. sometimes a little more than we preferred.
One day while driving them to school, he blurted out "Hey Mom! Did they have cars when you were little?"
How OLD does this kid think I am?! So, thinking I could get one over on him I replied, "No, Luc, we ride dinosaurs."
"Huh...that's cool. Did you tie their mouths shut so they didn't eat you?"
Kids-1 Mom-0.

2 comments:

  1. Your kids rock. seriously.
    Jaxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Zac's first bomb was the "F" bomb at age 2. Parking lot at WalMart. Someone pulled out in front of me then stopped half way out and stared at me. "F*ck! GO!" Then I heard an "uck" from the backseat. I had to call my daddy and let him know the first explicative from his darling grandson's mouth was my fault, not his. Humbling. LOL
    Jaxxx

    ReplyDelete