Monday, October 4, 2010

You Watched THAT?!?

"Catch the game yesterday?" The first thing out of everyone's mouth on Monday morning as soon as you hang up your coat at work.
"um...No."
"WHAT?!?! It was awesome!" Then having proclaimed what apparently was better than the second coming of Christ, they launch into a description of how this guy made amazing passes, runs, touchdowns, goals; to quote George Costanza "yadda yadda yadda..."
Um, Mister, you just spoke complete Greek to me.
Then, fool that I am because I open my mouth before thinking, I reply. "I don't understand football."
Arms fly in the air, mouths drop open to the floor and eyes bug from head. "Don't UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL??!? How can you NOT understand football?!??!"
Easy, I don't WANT to. So, instead of opening that can of worms and having to step gingerly around worms, I state, "Sorry, my bad, I should have said I don't LIKE football."
This causes an even worse reaction than absolute disbelief, it borders on a myocardial infarction. Since I don't want to be responsible for the death of an innocent co-worker in my Sport Retardation, I give a wavering smile and an apologetic look while walking to my desk.
By the time I get to my desk, which in all reality was about 10 seconds later, the entire office is whispering about the freak in the office who doesn't like football and are staring at me with blatant disgust bordering on hostility.
Frankly, I have never understood football. I don't care to understand football. I don't watch football or believe in wearing a jersey on game day. I don't rush home to catch the game. I don't attend Super Bowl parties to watch the game. I really try to avoid it at all costs.
Now, in the heart of Wisconsin admitting that alone is justifiable homicide to some.
"She doesn't like football! We need to purge the earth of HER kind!"
Well, fine, if not liking football doesn't get me into heaven, I will just hang out in limbo with the rest of the comic book and computer geeks. We will have a grand old time swapping stories about ComiCons we have attended while were still alive and revel in having attended them dressed up as a Superhero or a Star Wars or Star Trek character. (And for those of you who don't understand "Geek", it's Star TREK not Star TRACK.)
So, instead of watching the football game yesterday, I watched...wait for it...The Dukes of Hazzard Reunion.
I will wait while your laughter subsides.....

Frankly, it wasn't by choice. It was my husband's choice. Now, we are not country folk or moonshiners or even Nascar fanatics (another thing I can't figure out- please don't feel the need to explain). It was a show from my childhood with two really HOT guys in it. Seriously, when I was 9, John Schneider and Tom Wopat were the hottest things on tv! I remember playing Dukes with my cousin, Tanya. I think she was pissed because she always had to have Luke as her boyfriend. I was older, Bo was mine.
But I digress..., my husband turned it on. No, not for Daisy Duke (although I think that helped) he watched it for the car. Yes, the 1966 Dodge Charger aptly named The General Lee. The car was the focal point of the show.
Much like Knightrider. Yes, he watched that, too.
And I rather enjoyed watching Bo and Luke jump over ravines and rivers and other things blocking their way. Every time they landed, I said "Well, that car didn't make it..." to which I received a nasty look from my husband. "Do you have to say that every time?"
"No. I will just say it every OTHER time then."
smartass....
I really didn't pay much attention to the storyline, if there was one, I just enjoyed hearing the little tune that whisked me back to age 9 and hearing it for the first time. Yes Yes, I made plenty of fun of the show and the song both then and now, but, it still made me feel a bit nostalgic for my youth and all the awesome shows (or what WE thought were awesome) that were on.
Watching The Dukes of Hazzard made me realize something....
I really need to get a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment